Monday, October 1, 2012

Refurbishing an Old Piece

I like to visit the bargain shop here in Carroll once in awhile to find any items that I could refurbish. I was really excited about the hanging chalkboard item that I found a while back for $2. Definitely nothing too pretty as is, but I saw potential! 

Here is the board with a stamped birdhouse and hearts design on fabric. The chalkboard part wasn't the best quality - the chalk didn't write well on it.



I painted the frame with gloss black paint and a brush. Then I took out the chalkboard back and covered it in a fun fabric. Instead of a chalkboard it is now a decorated bulletin board. For the top, I took out the stamped fabric and put in a printed "Meyering" and a piece of glass.

Here is the final product!


We have this hanging in our newly painted and decorated laundry room. I recently designed a small cheat sheet of laundry stains and their solutions and tacked it on this bulletin board. 

Always think beyond what you see - it's amazing what a little paint and fabric can do! A very inexpensive piece of decor!

1 comment:

  1. Very cute! Anytime you feel the need to be crafty make something for me too;)

    ReplyDelete